The Marine Industry in Australia is a major contributor to the country’s wealth as well as a major service provider to other industries. The industry comprises of ship builders, boat builders, retailers of marine products (which includes boat products), marine equipment manufacturers, marine service providers and related activities.
The industry employs 30,000 people and has a turnover of around $5.5 billion per year. The Marine Industry, Australia has demonstrated capacities to operate in both the domestic and international markets.
Boat building is one of the oldest branches of engineering concerned with the construction of the hulls of boats and masts, spars and rigging for the sailboats. Since ancient times, boat builders and manufacturers of boat products have grown with leaps and bounds and this is particularly so with the exposure of the boat building industry to tourism and luxury.
In early times, boats served as a medium of short distance transportation. They were also used for trade and commerce. The oldest recovered boat is the canoe of Pesse, which is exhibited in a museum in Netherlands.
Types of Boats
There are 3 main types of boats. These are:
* The human powered boats. Under this category are the boats that are not powered and use paddles, poles or rowing as propellers. Examples of these types of boats are kayaks, canoes, gondolas, catamarans and so on.
* Sailing boats: Under this category are those boats that are propelled solely by means of sails.
* Motorboats: These boats are motor driven and use mechanical energy of engines to sail.
Boats are made of materials like wood, steel, aluminium, fibre-glass, composite and steel-reinforced cement.
Marine Products / Boat Products
There is a great demand in the international market for the diverse and useful boat products and accessories. These include marine ropes, radars, winches, barbecues, buoyancy aids, autopilots and dock flotation systems, boat seats and anchors
Marine Equipments or Boating Accessories has been categorized in the table below:
Category and Products
Boat Construction and Repair
1. Boat building materials and tools
2. Cleaning and Polishing Equipment
3. Hull treatment products
Equipment on Deck
1. Boat Covers and Awnings
2. Deck accessories such as flags, bailers, lubricants, oars and saddles
3. Deck Hardware
4. Masts, Sails and Rigging
5. Mooring Equipment
Navigation and Communications
1. Non-electronic steering
2. Electronic communications equipments
3. Electronic steering systems
4. Electronic weather information systems
Mechanics and Electrics
1. Engine ancillaries
2. Engine propulsion parts
3. Engine transmission parts
Inside the boat
1. Gallery equipments like cookers, barbeques, refrigeration, sinks, basins and the like
2. Pumps, tanks and heating
1. Onboard and
2. personal safety equipment
1. Marine clothing
2. Sunglasses, diving equipment, waterproof bags and cases and the like
There are several retailers selling the above products online. They promise quick delivery of products at low prices and world class customer services.